"Guillermo Porta" and "Domingo Shell", war with Chile, "urbanization San Antonio" and "Santa Cruz", "Ricardo Palma"
At Miraflores Emancipation witnessed the reunion of boards of Viceroy Pezuela and General San Martin’s commissions, on 23 September 1820, to negotiate a truce and peace manifesto, which failed.
After mercedarios religious Independence continued to sell their farm land to others, and these in turn to others, who were their homes.
The people of Miraflores became one of the favorite places for rest, especially for many wealthy people who built their ranch here. In the mid-nineteenth century the existence of an estimated 10 to 15 bests farms and 200-300 habitants.
Miraflores was the scene of civil wars that occurred in the early decades of the Republican era. On January 5, 1854, was the Battle of the Palms, between the hosts and Castilla Echenique, the latter being quartered in Miraflores and then departed to Las Palmas (Surco, where he was defeated).
Years after the planned construction of a cemetery, a market and a "tambo". In 1857 there were in Miraflores larger populations of 1000 habitants, which can be raised to the rank of District 02 in January of that year. Among the architects for the development of the district are "Don Guillermo Porta" and "Don Domingo Shell" (First Mayor), who bought and sold to "mercedarios" land for housing construction, which were acquired by foreign migrant mostly British, German, Italian, French, Swiss, ... arrived since the late seventeenth century, these lands in search of a better future, bringing new technologies, traditions and customs (architecture, clothing, music, food,...).
The road running from Lima to "Chorrillos" (current "Vía Expresa") was widely used for the transit of carriages and became the route of the railway Lima-"Chorrillos", a station opened in 1858 in Miraflores. (near the current "Parque Reducto" No. 2).
During the war with Chile, Miraflores played an important role, because that was the last bastion for the defense of Lima. On January 15, 1881 some 6,000 people, many of them Miraflores’ neighbors, bankers, politicians, intellectuals, and even young children (as the child hero Manuel Bonilla), defended the four Lima from redoubts that were erected in Miraflores, offering many there of them their lives. Following this gesture Miraflores received the title of "Ciudad Heróica".
Progress and modernity in the district continued apace in the early years of the twentieth century, which gives a breakthrough Built for example "Av. Arequipa", tram Lima-Chorrillos (by the current "Vìa Expresa") and network of public services among others.
In 1940, an earthquake destroyed much of Miraflores, forcing the construction of modern houses and buildings in trade; further developments arise as "San Antonio" and "Santa Cruz". Extending the central park, formerly known as "Parque Matríz". We also aserie a building like the current City Hall in 1944, the bridge "Villena Rey" in 1968 and one of the last buildings to be the refurbishment of the central park.
Miraflores, home to celebrities such as writer Ricardo Palma (now his home is a museum), the archaeologist Julio C. Tello, the historian Porras Barrenechea, among others, is one of the most progressive and important districts of the country due to his busy commercial, cultural, recreational and tourism. Miraflores in the story continues into the future.
Research done by Dr. Isabel Flores Espinoza.
Head of the Archaeological Project Huaca Pucllana in the Archive General de la Nation. Lima, 1996.
Dissemination and promotion.
Municipal Library Ricardo Palma.